India Mahal is owned and operated by the two Randhawa brothers, Amarjit and Sohan. On June 20, 1996, the original India Mahal opened in heart of University Place at 3547 Bridgeport Way. A year later, on October 18, 1997, Sohan opened the sister location in Downtown Tacoma at 832 Pacific Avenue.
The Randhawa brothers began their respective culinary careers by working on the family farm in India, and by learning from and cooking for their family. They came to America in 1984, and found work in various types of restaurants, some serving Indian cuisine and some American. From 1994-1996, Amarjit managed an Indian food restaurant in Fife, until he decided to make the leap to being a business owner - and India Mahal was born.
The University Place India Mahal stayed in its original location until May 30, 2004, when Amarjit was forced to relocate due to the city taking over the building for the new University Place City Hall project. On June 2, 2004, Amarjit opened his doors at the new location of 1905 Bridgeport Way W. The move was difficult, but through the help of his family and regular customers, it has been a positive event for Amarjit.
India Mahal University Place restaurant owner and his family, from left to right:
Amarjit, his son, his nephew, his mother, and his father.